Online Language Placement FAQ for Students
You can resume your test - please follow the instructions below for the language test you are taking.
Grammar, Reading, Listening, and Writing Test
To restart your test, contact email@example.com and you will be sent a link that will allow you to resume your test. Although the link provided will start at the beginning, you can click through to the point at which you left off; all previous answers will be visible.
Go to https://canvas.tufts.edu and log in with your Tufts username and password. The test will be available there. Click through the speaking test to the part where you left off and continue working.
If you hare having trouble playing or hearing the audio for the listening questions, try taking the test in a different browser. We recommend using Firefox or Chrome.
If you switch browsers while taking the Chinese test or the Italian test (except for the speaking section), you need to contact firstname.lastname@example.org to have your test restarted.
- We recommend that you use either the Firefox or Chrome browsers for completing the test, if you are having trouble first try switching browsers.
- This page has a step-by-step walkthrough for recording media assignments into Canvas: How do I submit a media file as an assignment submission?
- If you are having trouble recording directly into Canvas from your computer, try logging in to https://canvas.tufts.edu from your smartphone or tablet and attempting the speaking questions from there. You can record directly from mobile devices.
- You can also record a video of yourself with a mobile device and upload it to the question, but there is a 500mb upload limitation.
- If all else fails click on "Text Entry" and write a note that technical difficulties prevented you from recording. You may be asked to meet with the Language Coordinator during orientation to conduct the speaking test in person.
- The easiest way to submit your composition is to take a picture of it with a mobile device and email it to yourself so you can upload from your computer.
- If you started the test on your computer and are unable to upload a picture of your composition, ask email@example.com for a restart link and resume the test from your mobile device. When you click the file upload button you should have the option to take a picture to submit.
- If you have access to a scanner, printer, or copier with scanning capabilities, you can use that to scan the composition to a digital file.
You will receive your placement recommendation via email before you arrive on campus for Orientation 2019, most likely within 30 days.
You can register for your language classes with your other courses during Orientation.