How do I add library items to the reading list?
Spring 2021 reserves will be online only. Follow the directions below to request digital versions of course materials for your students. The library will purchase e-books and digital media when possible, or digitize physical items in our collection and make them available to your students online. Note that only materials your students will be required to read, view, or listen to can be digitized. More information about online reserves is available here.
You can add items from the libraries’ collections by clicking the large plus sign (+) in the blue box at the top of the Reading List sections.
Note: Depending on your browser you may see the words “Add Items”:
Or you may just see a plus sign:
This brings up a search box on the right side of the screen that is identical to searching JumboSearch. To limit your search to library items, choose Library Catalog.
- Search for the item you want to add to your list, then select it and click Add
- You will then see a pop-up form. Enter the details about what your students will need access to, and then click Confirm.
- For a physical book or score, enter the page range or chapter(s) your students will be required to read, or indicate if they will need access to the entire book.
- For a video recording, indicate whether it should be digitized for your students to stream.
- For an audio recording, indicate what portion of the album should be digitized for streaming and whether the liner notes should be scanned.
- If the library does not own the material you need, click the Create tab and enter as much information as you have. Note that Type is a required field. Choose the format of the material from the dropdown menu.
- Then fill out the question form indicating what your students will need to access.
- Library staff will receive and process your request. A link to the digital material will be added to the citation in your Reading List when the material is available. Depending on licensing, e-books may have a limit on the number of users who can access them simultaneously. Books digitized by the library will be stored on Box, will require a log-in, will only be available to the students in your course for the length of the semester, and will not be downloadable. Streaming media will be available in a playlist embedded in your Canvas course site.