As a Student, How do I create a Study Group?
As a student, you can create your own Student Groups for group study,
Student Groups can:
- Share files (Group has its own Files tool)
- Send and post Announcements (Group has its own Announcements tool)
- Create Canvas Pages (Group has its own Pages tool)
- Conduct Group Discussions (Group has its own Discussions tool)
- Create collaborative Google Documents (Group has its own Collaborations tool)
You can be part of more than one student group
Note: By default, Instructors and TAs can access all student created groups on their site and can access and edit all content.
Go to the couse site and click on People
Click the Groups Tab
Click Add Group
This displays the New Student Group panel.
Enter a name for the study group
Click on the Joining dropdown box and select the group joining method
If you want anyone in the course to join your group, choose the Course members are free to join option.
If you want to create a group with only specific people in your course, choose the Membership by invitation only option.
Invite users to join the group by clicking the checkbox next to each user's name. Users are listed alphabetically by last name.
Notes about invitations and group membership:
- If you set the group membership option so that anyone can join, but you choose to select only a few of the students to invite to the group, the remaining students who were not invited can see the group in the student group list and can join the student group later.
- If you set the group membership option as invitation only, students who were not invited will not be able to see the group in the student group list. If you want to add a new user to an invitation-only group at a later time, contact you instructor for assistance.
This creates the new student study group