How do I manage an Automatically Assigned Peer Review discussions?
Setup your Peer Review Discussion to Automatically Assigned Peer Reviews (Example:)
1- If you want Canvas to automatically (and randomly) assign peer reviews, select "Automatically Assign Peer reviews". When this is selected, an extension to this panel opens
2- Set the number of peer reviews you would like each student to complete.
3- Set the date and time you would like students to begin to have access to other students submissions for them to peer review. If you leave this box blank, students will be able to begin peer reviewing on the "Due" date for the assignment.
Once the Assigned Reviews date/time (or the default "Due" date/time) has passed, Canvas assigns the Student Reviews
Student Peer Reviewers access their assigned peer reviews by clicking on the Discussion then clicking on the Review Now link at the top of the discussion.
Student Reviewer's View of Peer Review:
1- Student reviewer can see all of the reviewee's discussion posts
2- Student reviewer can post comments to the other student
3- Student reviewer can attach a file to the other student
4- Student reviewer can post a webcam video comment to the other student
5- Comments (written or webcam) must be saved
Instructor's View of Peer Reviews
The reviewed student's view of their Peer Review (Jane's's View of John's peer review)
1- Reviewed student can see their own posts
2- Reviewed student can see their review from another student(s)
Note: Students access their peer reviews written by other students by going to the "Grades" tool and clicking on the name of the Discussion.
Instructor's SpeedGrader view of discussion posts and Peer Review
1- Display of all of the student's discussion posts
2- Comments from the peer reviewer
Note: In the SpeedGrader, you can view the Student posts and the comments made to that student by the peer reviewed.
Some Important considerations when using a Automatically Assigned Peer Review Discussion:
- Canvas will only assign a peer review to a student if that student has contributed to the Discussion.
- When a peer review has been assigned (on the Assigned or Due date/time), students can view a notification in their Dashboard "To Do" sidebar or Activity Stream. Students will also receive an email notification.
- To complete a peer review, students must review the other student's posts and leave a comment on the peer review page (accessed by clicking "Review Now".)
- Students cannot view previously submitted comments by any other reviewers or comments made by TAs or other instructors.
- You can also assign a rubric to the Discussion. If the assignment includes a rubric, students must only complete the rubric to complete the peer review. However, you can choose to ask your students to also leave a comment in the comment sidebar. The rubric score is used for an assessment opinion only; you must review the assignment and assign the final grade.
- Students do not receive a grade for completing a peer review, nor is there an assigned Due date for the peer review to be completed. If you want to assign extra points for peer reviews, you can create a No Submission assignment in the Gradebook and assign points manually. The Peer Review page for the assignment will show the names of students who have completed the peer review indicated by a check-mark.