How do I manage a Manually Assigned Peer Review Discussions?
Setup your Peer Review Discussion to Manually Assign Peer Reviews (Example:)
After Saving (or Save and Publishing), Click on the name of the Discussion, then click the Options icon (3 vertical dots) then select "Peer Reviews"
To manually assign peer reviews, click "Give * another submission to access (+) and select student from the dropdown box
This allows the student to access the selected student's discussion posts and submit a peer review.
Note: You can assign as many peer reviews to an individual student as you want. You can also assign a student to be peer reviewed by more than one other student
Note: With Manually Assigned Peer reviews, as soon as a student has posted a discussion reply, the student that is assigned to peer review that student can complete the peer review.
Students access the peer review form by going to the discussion and clicking on the "Review Now" link at the top of the discussion instructions.
In the above example, Jack Doe was manually assigned to peer review Jill Doe's discussion posts.
Student Reviewer's View of Peer Review:
1- Student reviewer can see all of the reviewee's discussion posts
2- Student reviewer can post comments to the other student
3- Student reviewer can attach a file to the other student
4- Student reviewer can post a webcam video comment to the other student
5- Comments (written or webcam) must be saved
Instructor's View of Peer Reviews
The reviewed student's view of their Peer Review (Jill's's View of Jack's peer review)
1- Reviewed student can see their own posts
2- Reviewed student can see their review from another student(s)
Note: Students access their peer reviews written by other students by going to the "Grades" tool and clicking on the name of the Discussion.
Instructor's SpeedGrader view of discussion posts and Peer Review
1- Display of all of the student's discussion posts
2- Comments from the peer reviewer
Note: In the SpeedGrader, you can view the Student posts and the comments made to that student by the peer reviewed.
Some Important considerations when using a Manually Assigned Peer Review Discussion:
- When a peer review has been assigned, students can view a notification in their Dashboard "To Do" sidebar or Activity Stream. Students will also receive an email notification.
- To complete a peer review, students must review the other student's posts and leave a comment on the peer review page (accessed by clicking "Review Now".)
- Students cannot view previously submitted comments by any other reviewers or comments made by TAs or other instructors.
- You can also assign a rubric to the Discussion. If the assignment includes a rubric, students must only complete the rubric to complete the peer review. However, you can choose to ask your students to also leave a comment in the comment sidebar. The rubric score is used for an assessment opinion only; you must review the assignment and assign the final grade.
- Students do not receive a grade for completing a peer review, nor is there an assigned Due date for the peer review to be completed. If you want to assign extra points for peer reviews, you can create a No Submission assignment in the Gradebook and assign points manually. The Peer Review page for the assignment will show the names of students who have completed the peer review indicated by a check-mark.